Keeping a positive outlook can be a challenge when you are achy and sore, however there is growing evidence that a negative mental state can have an adverse effect on your immune system which is important for people with RA. Studies completed at Emory University in Atlanta, the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor and the University of Torino Medical School in Candiolo, Italy indicated that when participants anticipated pain relief, their bodies produced natural pain killers and regardless of the treatment they felt better. People with positive attitudes are generally more healthy and more likely to overcome pain according to the University of Michigan scientists.
So what can you do to improve your outlook?
- Make positive statements.
- Keep your focus on what you can do.
- Try to picture yourself in perfect health.
- Volunteer: Helping others changes your focus.
- Maintain healthy friendships/ relationships
- Find a hobby or activity that brings you a smile.